Wednesday 22 October 2014

Sea Life

I've managed to go sailing! 




I found an advert on the internet for crew for a 28 foot sailing boat that is berthed in a marina in a neighbouring town. So on Sunday I hopped on the train bright and early on a beautifully sunny morning with intructions to find the boat. It's quite a big marina almost completely devoid of signs so my decision to take the earlier train was justified as I wandered around for a while before pouncing on a staff member to give me directions. Credit to control freak Dad for always insisting that unless you're early, you're late. The berth number I had been given was disconcertingly empty so I casually sat on a bench and hoped for the best until the skipper turned up at the alloted time exactly and introduced himself.


We motored out of the marina with no wind and right on cue it gradually picked up as we hit open water. Engine off and sails up as we dodged the dinghys and fishing boats. I had quickly looked up a few key nautical terms the night before and quickly learnt a few new ones as we went along. Unfortunately both English and Spanish have their own sailing language that often bears little resemblance to the day to day names which is an added challenge. I was resenting the popular sailing refrain 'there are no ropes on a boat' (ie each type have their own specific name) when I tried to get my head around the Spanish name for the third type of rope of the day. Entertainingly the skipper reads all the English sailing magazines so I was able to tell him my parents will be starring in an article in the December edition of Yachting World.



Once we made it to the usual meeting point to start the race it became apparent that there wasn't the usual number of competitors out and about. At this point the skipper had a quick check of the sailing calendar and confirmed that there wasn't a race on from their port today. Both sailors admitted they used the racing calendar as an excuse to go out sailing rather than take it too seriously, but need the justification of the regattas for their families who aren't so keen on sailing. So it was time for a 'training session' aka cruise in the sunshine. This was perfect to get the hang of helming the boat and as the wind picked up we took on another boat in an informal race and left them in our wake as we hit top speed. 



It was a great morning's sail and the mountains behind the towns and views over to the city were beautiful. 


My running coach has been on entertaining form on our beach expeditions. I've been talking to the host mum about how dogs all have their own character and especially of their abilities to trick their owners. You would think Nana is starving whenever she makes a mad dash to the kitchen when the fridge door is opened or she senses that someone can't finish all their food. In the same way I'm pretty sure she's tricking me with the running. I was subjected to expert puppy dog eyes last week with a faked issue with her paw (I found nothing and then it magically healed when she saw the postman) and this week she has wanted to take more breaks than me. Always conveniently timed to make friends with other dogs, it's becoming a social outing for both of us.